Tuesday 7 October 2014

Drawing 1, Part 2 Observations in Nature, Detailed Observation - Stipples and Dots

For this exercise I was to pick another interesting object and use A4 cartridge paper and a ballpoint or drawing pen. Then use a stippling effect, dots and and a variety of marks to create a drawing of depth and interest.
Exercise - Stipples and Dots, Finished Drawing
Exercise - Stipples and Dots, Finished Drawing
After my research on Eliot Hodgkin I took a walk through the very small park area opposite my school and took some photos of leaves with my mobile phone so I might use them later. When this exercise came up I went back into the park to grab some dying leaves to take home.
Exercise - Stipples and Dots, Leaf Subject
Exercise - Stipples and Dots, Leaf Subject
One particular leaf caught my eye as it had some great lines and at the time was half green half brown, so took many photos during the change from green and brown to completely brown and also tried the leaf at different angles, for my drawing I picked out the one above.
I can't say that I love stippling as it is a very slow process and this exercise took me about three hours over two days to complete and since my first assignment was handed in quite slow I'm trying to keep up momentum.
I used a Rotring 0.3 drawing pen and began as I did with other exercises, drawing the light tones by spacing out the dots  and then going back over for the darker tones with more dots. I used a variety of mark making techniques which included stippling, dots, really short hatching and lines and for the creased patterns of the dying leaf I drew the dots in tracks close together and then went back over with more dots.
Exercise: Stipples and Dots Finished
Exercise: Stipples and Dots Finished
View my learning log for Drawing 1

No comments:

Post a Comment