Tuesday 7 October 2014

Drawing 1, Part 2 Observations in Nature, Still Life - Still Life Group in Tone

After the last exercise 'Still Life Group Using Line' this exercise sounded like it was going to be a breath of fresh air and indeed it was...
Still Life Group in Tone
Still Life Group in Tone
I started with a bit of a study to firstly get the right composition for this exercise and then to try out different colours so I could find three colours that would give me three different tones for this drawing. I feel like I cheated on this exercise as I chose objects that could be drawn easily enough with just three colours, a yellowy green banana, an apple and two green bananas but I just started a high fruit diet the week before and I used objects that were at hand.
Like it instructed me in the brief I screwed up my eyes to take a look at the dark colours only and lightly sketched them in and then chose a different colour to sketch in the mid tones, then another for the light tone. On completion of the initial sketch I decided that my darkest colour was too light and so changed it for my final drawing.
Still life group in tone
Still life group in tone
I changed the composition of my final drawing slightly so I could depict the full form of the apple and I'm glad I did. The final drawing took me less than two hours going at a really steady pace and I am really satisfied with the completed drawing and my choice of colours, It would have been nice to apply a fourth colour though and also maybe a variation in orange and reds.
The one thing I am not happy with is the amount of blank space I left on the paper but I tried to make up for this by shading with my darkest colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment