Tuesday 7 October 2014

Drawing 1, Part 2 Observations in Nature, Detailed Observation - Check and Log

Which drawing media did you find most effective to use, for which effects?
For me I love pencils I've been developing my pencil skills more and more on this course and I have got to the stage where I am doing less and less smudging and more and more hatching using my pencil at different angles with different holding techniques. I really think I did well depicting the tone of the wood and especially the bark in the 'Getting Tone and Depth in Detail' exercise. However I was very happy with my stippling with the Rotring drawing pen on the 'Stipples and Dots' exercise, not only being able to depict the tone of the leaf but also it's texture.
What sort of Marks work well to create tone and texture?
I used a variety of hatching to depict the texture of the tree branch with sporadic hatching to depict the bark and fluid lines and hatching to show the stripped wood all these marks worked really well. I thought I had chosen the wrong type of subject for the stipples and dots exercise but I think I showed the texture of the object really well with dots and patterns of stipples to show creases in the dying leaf.
Did you enjoy capturing details or are you more at home creating big broad brush sketches?
I must admit that capturing details with stipples and dots was a bit tedious but I am delighted with the finished drawing and I really enjoyed working on the tree branch in the first exercise so I can probably say that I am more at home capturing details.
Look at the composition of the drawings you have done in this project. Make some sketches and notes about how you could improve your composition.
The composition and the angles of the subjects that I chose were thought about long and hard before embarking on these exercises, I feel I chose the best compositions that I could to not only capture the full beauty of the objects but to fill the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment