Monday 27 October 2014

Drawing 1, Part 2 Observations in Nature, Drawing Fruits and Vegetables in Colour, Using Hatching to Create Tone

For this exercise firstly I was to select some pieces of fruit and vegetables and draw each of them individually in my sketchbook in a medium of my choice paying attention to the shapes or planes that make up the objects outline.
I decided to use colour pencils for this exercise as I needed more practise and have yet to get used to blending. I initially chose an onion, a cucumber and some strange Asian mushrooms for my composition but all that was to change.
Then I was to write my thoughts and ideas next to the sketches including some notes about tonal values and ideas about the arrangement of a composition and use a view finder to crop some of the shapes in different positions.
Using Hatching to Create Tone - Initial choice of objects
Using Hatching to Create Tone – Initial choice of objects
As a view finder I used my camera sometimes looking at a photo of the composition you notice things that you wouldn’t notice with the naked eye. It took me at least two hours to decide on the composition and what fruits and vegetables to change and the angle from which I would draw from, trying my hardest to stay away from similar layouts to the compositions I had used in earlier drawings.
Using Hatching to Create Tone - Orange, apple and dragon fruit
Using Hatching to Create Tone – Orange, apple and dragon fruit
I swapped the Asian mushrooms/toadstools for an orange and an apple as I could use them in different positions and together with the onion the three spherical objects looked great with the cucumber. They also picked up the reflected light from the pink cloth that I decided to use as a backdrop very well.
Using Hatching to Create Tone - Composition
On an A3 sheet of paper I lightly sketched the outline of the objects with a 2H pencil and began to hatch working on the cucumber first but not finishing and then moving to the other objects to see how the cucumber looked against them this helped me decide on tone and colour of the cucumber being the more awkward of the 4 objects.
Using Hatching to Create Tone - Finished Drawing
Using Hatching to Create Tone – Finished Drawing
After working on the other 3 objects I came back to the cucumber which I had to reshape a little bit with an eraser. I’m quite happy with the finished drawing I think the composition fills up the picture plane quite nicely, and I think I did quite a good job with the hatching which I think is more fluid than anything I have done before. Probably the most difficult part of the drawing is the props I used the slightly transparent cloth and the straw basket.
The only think I am not satisfied with really is my photo skills and will try and get a better photo to send in for assessment.
View more Drawing fruits and Vegetables exercises on my my Drawing 1 working log

No comments:

Post a Comment