Tuesday 7 October 2014

Drawing 1, Part 2 Observations in Nature, Still Life, Still Life Group Using Line

In the brief for this exercise I was to set up a still life group out of objects at my disposal, either objects that naturally connect together or deliberately contrast. For this I did a supermarket shop and purchased onions, a big chunk of knobbly Asian pumpkin and a red cabbage thinking about three objects that gradually went from rough to smooth.
I had to think about the following questions: 'How will I treat the objects?', 'How will their connections be clear?', 'How will I capture the differences between the objects?', 'How do the objects relate to their background? and 'How will I reference the colour in the group in this drawing?.
Then with these questions in mind I had to select a medium such as pen and ink, marker pens or fine black pen and A3 paper and begin to draw; which is exactly what I did. I wanted to use pen and ink for this drawing as I have kept delaying it but when i saw I would be using them in the next project I decided to use a Rotring 0.3 drawing pen.
My objects had already been in the fridge a couple of days so they wouldn't last long once I took them out and my SD card for my camera kept locking due to me removing it too often so I had to work fast as I couldn't get a photo to work from in case I didn't finish before evening came.
 Still Life Group Using Line 1st Drawing
Still Life Group Using Line 1st Drawing
There was no drawing this out in pencil first for me, I wanted to do start as I meant to go on and and put my Rotring drawing pen to paper. I started on the outline of the three objects together rather than drawing them individually then when the outline was complete I finished the shape of each object individually.
From there I started on the lines of the onion which were fairly simple and while I worked my way around the onion with a variation of light and dark lines (applying different pressures) I thought about how I was going to approach the different objects. Working from right to left I tackled the red cabbage next and it was extremely difficult; trying to view the patterns as a whole and then working on the lines individually was enough to drive me crazy.
The pumpkin was the next obstacle and because this was a still life group using line I had to exaggerate the texture of the pumpkin at certain parts where there was no real pattern at all. It looks like I have tried my hardest to depict tone here but actually I wasn't thinking about tone at all. I was just trying to complete the surface of the pumpkin with as many different line as possible, squiggly lines, short strokes, anything that came to mind.
The cabbage leaf on the right of the drawing was probably the most difficult object in this drawing and was very difficult to draw without hatching to depict it's smoothness which I wasn't very successful in doing so.
Then when I finished the composition I ruined the whole picture by doing some stupid speckle background and so I decided to have another go.
Still Life Group Using Line 2
Still Life Group Using Line 2
This time I tried a slightly different angle and the finished drawing was cleaner but there are a lot more things that I am unhappy with. For one I don't know how the cutting board got so out of shape the cabbage leaf didn't turn out that great and the pumpkin surface was a little too exaggerated but certain parts of the pumpkin surface turned out a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment